Saturday, June 19, 2010

Plaquenil the Terrible

I have been taking Plaquenil 100 mg split into two doses for a couple weeks now. I have been sick to my stomach for most of these two weeks and the past two days have been pretty awful. I knew this was going to be a problem from the beginning because I had this same reaction when I was put on it after being diagnosed. My doctor was hoping that such a small dose would be better, but so far no luck. And I am running out of patience.

I also woke up with a migraine today which has not helped my mood. I had to take my migraine medicine twice during the night and then this morning 600 mg of ibuprofen (because I am not taking the Mobic right now because of my stomach).

On Tuesday I meet with her again to talk about my lupus and the results of my kidney ultrasound. I got a letter from her today that said I have multiple stones in them. This does not really surprise me because I have a history of kidney stones.

The weather is gorgeous here (but hot) and I have not been able to enjoy it because of my stomach. I am hoping things will change around quickly. If not then I will have to stop the Plaquenil.

6 comments:

H said...

Hey - are you taking the generic or the brand name? Sometimes the generic causes stomach issues when the brand name doesn't.

KirBir said...

I hope you feel better soon hun.

Melanie said...

Hi H,

I have heard about that with brand name and generic. Considering the hoops I had to jump through with my insurance to get the generic Plaquenil, I don't know if they will approve it.

I think I will ask the pharmacist tomorrow if there is a filler or something that is not in the name brand that could be causing this reaction. Maybe that will be enough to convince my insurance company.

Melanie said...

And thnaks KirBir.

If I can get the name brand and it works better I will let you know :)

gradstudentwithlupus said...

I agree with the above comments. Try to get the brand name, hope it helps!

in happier news, youve won a blog award! :) http://wp.me/pX4mE-2p

(Sorry to notify you by comment but you don't have an email listed haha)

SR (@gradstdntwlupus)
http://gradstudentwithlupus.wordpress.com

Jackie said...

I had terrible trouble with nausea and vomiting when I first started taking hydroxychloroquine, but eating yogurt and drinking peppermint tea seemed to ease my symptoms and they eventually went away.