Monday, August 30, 2010

Lupus? What Lupus?

I have been thinking a lot about how to disclose illness to the people around you. Since I am going to be moving in with three people I don't know, I feel like it is important that they know I have an illness that can be completely unpredictable. If I get really sick and can't take care of myself, someone needs to know what is going on. But at the same time, disclosing can lead to awkward conversations and reactions you don't quite expect.

I never old anyone at the bakery about the lupus. I had my last shift on Friday (they never put me on the schedule this week, ugh) and so now I guess it does not matter. But if it was going to be a more permanent thing then I definitely would have told. My supervisors at my other jobs all know. One does not pay attention to it, which causes its own problems, and the other pays too much attention to it, which is also problematic. The latter probably more so because she is always offering "suggestions" that don't work. Like I should like to stand on my feel all day because then it exercises the joints. Um, no.

Disclosing a chronic illness is personal. It's up to the individual how and if they want to do it. It's still something I struggle with because of my almost militant quest to "appear normal". Even when I feel bad I don't want to look or act like I feel bad. I guess in the coming week I will have to decide how and when to tell my new roommates about my lupus.

No comments: